There are a couple of things, during this season of costumes, that are asked about by customers at work. One of my favourites is “how do I get the stockings (leggings?) the Alice character wears in Resident Evil: Extinction?”
The internet is mildly clogged with answers to finding the right holsters, or you can look at images of the original costume and really, it isn’t that difficult to get info. But there wasn’t anything I could find (at this time) specifically about the stockings, which are basically self-gartered.
Tights are, in general, a bitch to fit. If you’re leggy, or rounded, or some combo of both, odds are the crotch of the damn things end up somewhere lower than they’re supposed to, giving you that sexy penguin waddle. So chopping the legs off a pair of tights and tying them back on will just lose you precious length in the leg.
So, here is a simple step-by-step to get the self-garter look.
- Find yourself a pair of tights or leggings. Foot Traffic’s Combed Cotton in Brown, Chocolate, or Heather Mocha are all good bets for the Alice costume, and are comparable to Rit dyes I’ve worked with before, so you can match the shirt to the tights.
- Put the tights on, making sure the legs are straight (this is important to positioning the “garter”). Now, using a fabric marker or pen that will wash out, mark the center-point of your thigh. Do this at the height you want the self-garter to be.
- Take the tights off. Laying them flat and even, make two marks to either side of the center-point you just made. You want the total width to be about 1.5 inches.
- Using the marks you’ve just made as a guide, cut a shallow wedge from the sides in. Set the pieces you’ve cut out aside.
- Almost done.
- Now, take those bits you cut out and tie them around the self-garter you just made, back and front. Wrap them around several times, it bulks up the “knot”. I find it’s easier to do this when they’re on, as you can judge things a little better. Trim any extra ends.
- BAM. You actually get a little extra length this way, even.